Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Took a chance

I tend to be a cynic.  I am not sure where it came from but maybe working in a government job with government agencies with people that are cynics.  But, I did take a chance... I was at the grocery store in our little rural town which used to thrive on logging and agriculture.  Thanks to the environmental spotted owl bleeding hearts... We now limp along with agriculture.

Anyways, back to my story.  I have decided, I no longer want those awful plastic bags.  They are made out of petroleum.  Oil prices are high enough without taking more petrol out of the production of gas and putting it into making bags, I know that is a simplified version of the process but HEY it works in my little mind.  So, when asked paper or plastic- I said "Paper!"  The young man checking, was taken aback by my enthusiasm for paper.  He is one of those metrosexual, just stepped out of Abercrombie and Fitch, it is trendy to be environmentally savvy types.  He said- Why?

I calmly told him, I want people to cut down more trees so, I choose paper.  I do not want to see our natural resources wasted on rotting.  He was quiet.  Then, "It makes sense, I guess"  I then went into my monologue... About petrol, logging, etc.

I hope he understood a little bit of it.  Or maybe even went and tried to read up on logging or something.  I figure every little bit helps.  Maybe he will figure out rotting forests produce WAY more greenhouse gasses than managed forest?  I don't know but I tried!

1 comment: